Bloom by Delilah S. Dawson Overall Rating: ★★★★★ Well, well, well Ms. Dawson. What can I say about this book apart from: whoa. I literally ate up Bloom and when I say ate up I mean I gobbled it up, forgive the pun, in two very closely spaced sittings in a single day. This was like two bites of a maple bacon cupcake, sweet, strange, moreish and with something just a little bit wrong underneath. Bloom had me hunting for clues from the get-go. I knew from other reviews that the ending was supposed to be something special and thank goodness it did not let me down. This is a story of infatuation, greed, jealousy and obsession all wrapped up in a slow-burn story that takes us from the cosy charm of a farmers market to a heart-stopping climax. Speaking as a gay male wolf, I am not usually the biggest reader of sapphic fiction, but apparently this year has decided to be my year of lesbian horror. And honestly, I am not hating it. The dynamic between two women is so much different th...
Popular posts from this blog
(Audio Book) Dungeon Crawler Carl by Matt Dinniman
Dungeon Crawler Carl by Matt Dinniman Audiobook Review Rating: ★★★★★ The end of the world has arrived. Humanity is on the verge of extinction. The dungeon’s doors are open, the levels await, and survival has become the universe’s favorite spectacle. Earth has missed its payments, and now the powerful corporations are collecting what’s owed, putting every living thing at risk. What follows is one of the wildest, funniest, most brutal, and unexpectedly smart adventures I’ve read in a long time. Dungeon Crawler Carl thrusts the reader into a nightmarish reality TV RPG, where Carl—and his recently inherited cat, Princess Donut—must fight their way through a deadly dungeon, floor by floor. Making it out alive takes brains, luck, quick thinking, and maybe a high charisma roll. Also, Carl is missing both pants and shoes. That detail really sets the tone for the madness ahead. As Carl makes his way through the dungeon, he’s met with bizarre creatures, terrifying monsters, questionable f...
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson
The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson Rating: ★★★★★ There’s a reason Shirley Jackson’s The Haunting of Hill House is such a renowned classic. At first glance, it’s a haunted house story—the familiar challenge: spend the night in a house with a sinister reputation and get something in return. While countless writers have used this setup, Jackson crafts it with such subtle menace, atmosphere, and precision that it still feels fresh. But the book’s horror goes far beyond the supernatural. It explores themes of manipulation, isolation, social pressure, and the unsettling ways people can impact each other. The narrative, set in the ominous Hill House, unfolds slowly, filling every page with creeping unease. There aren’t constant jump scares or obvious monsters. Instead, dread seeps in quietly, unsettling you as much through the actions and motives of the characters as through any ghostly presence. Eleanor is our guide, offering a lens on the suspense, discomfort, and strange ...

Comments
Post a Comment